Saturday, July 8, 2023

My Late Grandfather


 It's been about 11 months since the passing of my late grandfather, Lim Teng Hoon @ Lim Peng Hoon.

History.

Gramps always tells his story of how he came to Malaysia. My great-grandfather came to Malaysia first during the occupation of China by the Imperial Japanese Army. Later, my great-grandmother sends my grandpa over to Malaysia before heading over herself. He would travel down south thru Cambodia and Thailand before making his way to Muar, Johor.

Here,  he worked hard and made a name for himself as one of the best photographers in Muar. Most people from both his and my mother's generations would know of him very well. He would always photograph schools, weddings, and events. He would even enter the Salon competition, traveling overseas just for the event. Apparently, once he even got a camera sign from Queen Elizabeth herself. Sadly it was stolen when his shop was broken into.

Many people see him as a healthy old man who manages to live to 100 years old on the Chinese calendar. The only sad thing is we could not celebrate it with a big feast as he lay in the hospital bed.

Many things to say about him, the good, the bad, and the funny things.

I used to always love visiting him. Muar is just rich in culture and food. His house was very big, it was cool, like a time capsule from the previous era so I was sad he sold it off when he decided to move to KL permanently to stay with his children. Despite the language barrier, I guess big hugs and the long story was his one way to show his affection.

My only regret was that I could not speak either Mandarin or Hainanese and he would always tell people that I can't speak it. I was annoyed and humiliated at first but in the end, I just learn to accept it and just enjoy those weird awkward moments. Believe me, I tried to learn Mandarin and failed miserably after half a year.



Gramps was also a strict and stern person when it comes to certain stuff. A typical stubborn old Chinese man who always thinks his methods are correct. I remember as a child, he came over to help renovate my home. When he was stuck trying to figure out what to do, I gave a suggestion and both he and my dad told me to go away as I was too young and do not know anything. Funny enough, at the end they did what I suggested.

He was also a gullible Mongolian doctor. Meaning, he always self-medicates and sometimes eats really weird stuff until he gets a good scolding from his own children. To improve his gut, he believed that he should drink loads of Yakult and Vitagen, the original flavour. Once he ran out and I suggested he drank the apple flavour. He said those are only for children. Haha. Many times he would not eat food, meds or drinks if the packaging changed which made us keep all of the old packaging so that it would be easier to manage his expectations.

I could continue about the headache he gives me like how he favour certain people, how despite being a Christian he still follows traditions which are bad like my name is not in the family tree or tombstone, he would always flood the house whenever he cleans the fishtank despite having a shaking hand, he would still how because he is older means he is right or he loves to complain about things which do not fit his ways even though he is staying with me. However, all in all, I still love him despite his shortcoming.

He would always say that he was content with life, achieving many things, making a name for himself in Muar as a photographer, witnessing most of his grandchildren's university graduations, that he get to see his great-grandchildren too, living up till 100. That he was always ready to go back to the Lord and meet Grandma again.

Even when he got into his 90's, he would still refuse to use a walking stick, he would refuse to use the stairlifts because he don't want to be thought of as old, nor would he take a break and continue to do gardening which could really injure him. I guess, his stubbornness is a good thing too because he would never give up no matter what until he feels fulfilled.

One thing I will remember him for is his story of seeking the Kingdom of God first. When he became a Christian, he gave up Sunday, a good day for a photographer to do business. So that he could go to church and honour God. He always felt that by putting God first, God blessed him with the ability to send all his children to study overseas and also blessed him to live this long.

May God bless his soul as he finally rests peacefully in the arms of the Lord.

No comments: